[Pythonmac-SIG] Repackaging for Tiger?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Apr 27 22:55:41 CEST 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

>>> I've gotten some inquiries from users about my Python packages--PyQt
>>> in
>>> particular--and whether they will run on Tiger. Is it safe to say
>>> that
>>> Python stuff built/packaged against 2.3 on Panther will probably
>>> need to
>>> be repackaged for Tiger, assuming Tiger is using a more recent
>>> version
>>> of Python than 2.3.0?
>>
>> For what it's worth, I've heard that 2.3.5 is the version of Python
>> included
>> with Tiger, but I haven't tried to confirm that since we'll all know
>> the
>> answer the day after tomorrow...
>>
> Aren't micro releases supposed to be backwards compatible?  I'd expect
> an extension like PIL built against Python 2.3.0 to work with 2.3.5,
> as well.  But perhaps the non-Python MacOS libraries have changed
> enough to make that fail.

Extensions built for Python 2.3.x work fine with 2.3.x for any x
assuming everything else that matters is the same... but there are
plenty of outside factors that could have changed that would at least
require a little preparation to make a package built for 10.3 work for
10.4 (or vice versa, when possible).

> Stuck on 2.3 for another 18 months, eh?

Only if you want to be.  Python 2.4.1 is the only Python I "support".
I still build packages for 2.3, only because it takes an extra few
seconds to do so, but I don't test them anymore.