[Pythonmac-SIG] Which Python are people going to use?

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Apr 28 11:13:02 CEST 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 5:59, Dethe Elza wrote:

> I'm using 2.4.1 and will be generally be running the latest stable
> release.  Using py2app makes it so convenient to just include the
> Python I'm working with, and it's now easy to install the latest
> Python, there's less and less reason to fiddle around with older
> versions.

It depends on what you distribute. If it's double-clickable
applications, I agree. But I distribute libraries and command-line
tools for /usr/local/bin. Unless I have overlooked something, py2app
can't do those, and I imagine it would be difficult to build
command-line tools that would find a Python version inside an
application bundle at an unknown location. So if I go for 2.4, I have
to tell all my users to install 2.4 first. That by itself wouldn't
perhaps be a big issue (one package more to install), but there is also
the problem that if some libraries are provided for 2.3 and others for
2.4, much of the attraction of Python for occasional programmers would
be gone.

In short, I expect to have to offer packages for both 2.3 and 2.4 and
explain the difference to people who don't really care. I'd be happier
if the Mac world could agree on a single Python version.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France