[Pythonmac-SIG] Which Python are people going to use?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 29 23:24:04 CEST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> So if your archive is the only one that matters anyway, then we (the
> participants of this SIG) could start a massive packaging campaign to
> make it the "industry standard".

Yes, Yes, Yes! please, let's all do this! It's really a nightmare that
people can get packages from all over the place, and they are all a
little different, etc. I'd love it if I could just send everyone to the
same place for everything. It's bad enought hat fink confuses everyone.

If we do do this, it would be nice to spruce up that site a little bit.
A few thoughts:

* The main page could have links to repositories for each OS-X and
Python version, rather than having it all in a big list.

* Each package could have a reference of some kind to he maintainer, who
will not always be Bob. For instance, I contributed the matplotlib
package...which I have yet to update for 2.4 and the latest version of MPL.

* I'd even like to see MacEnthon distributed here, but if not, should we
have packages that duplicate what's in there? (matplotlib, for instance)
perhaps there should be a link to it there as well.

* There are a number of libraries that OS-X does not provide that I
suspect are needed by various python packages (libjpeg, libpng, ???).
Would it make sense to have a "dynamic library package" that other
packages depended on, rather than staticly linking them to each package?

* Is there  anything we should be doing with PyPi?

> Personally, I agree, but then I know how important the "they already
> have it" (plus "it's the official Apple version")

That actually helps me a lot with marketing Python to co-workers, though
I guess I can get some bang just by saying that Apple is delivering
Python by default, even if my stuff doesn't use their version.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov