[Pythonmac-SIG] memory allocation issue

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 1 19:02:05 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> I imagine that the issue here is related to the following:
> http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2005/01/01/realloc-doesnt/

> I suggest taking a look for code that creates big objects, resizes
> them to be smaller, and keeps them around for a bit.

Good idea, but I doubt that Numeric ever uses realloc(). A search
through the code and/or a post to the NumPy list will tell you.

Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
> It essentially
> generates long sample arrays of parameter values,

> Should I be using numarray instead -- it sounds like
> I would take a performance hit if I did.

 From your brief description, you wouldn't take a performance hit.
numarray is slower when creating new arrays, but if you're working with
big arrays, then the creation time is small anyway, compared to doing
things with them. Numarray can be faster than Numeric for some
operations with large arrays.

I don't' think it's likely that numarray will solve your problem, but if
it does, it will give you hint as to what the problem is.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov