[Pythonmac-SIG] matplotlib problems

Samuel M.Smith smithsm at samuelsmith.org
Fri Aug 12 08:12:57 CEST 2005

I installed the matplotlib from http://pythonmac.org/packages/
matplotlib-0.82-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip

if I try to import pylab it exits and complains about not having pygtk.

It is my understanding that if I have wxPython installed that I don't
need pygtk. Apparently
the dependency is still there. Am I missing something.

I put matplotlibrc in ~/.matplotlib.

i changed the default configuration to use the WxAgg

#### CONFIGURATION BEGINS HERE
backend      : WxAgg    # the default backend is GTKAgg
numerix      : Numeric   # Numeric or numarray
interactive  : False     # see http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
interactive.html
toolbar      : toolbar2   # None | classic | toolbar2
timezone     : UTC        # a pytz timezone string, eg US/Central or
Europe/Paris

but it didn't change anything. Anybody use matplotlib pylab  and
could tell me how to
get it to work?

$ pythonw
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
 >>> import matplotlib
 >>> import pylab
No module named pygtk
PyGTK version 1.99.16 or greater is required to run the GTK
Matplotlib backends
$