[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy install on Tiger with Python 2.4.1 framework

Samuel M. Smith smithsm at samuelsmith.org
Fri Aug 12 17:09:19 CEST 2005

On 12 Aug, 2005, at 03:01, Bill Northcott wrote:

> On 12/08/2005, at 4:26 AM, Brian Granger wrote:
>
>> What version of gcc are you using?  I have not had any luck
>> getting scipy and its dependencies working with gcc 4.0.
>>
>> Maybe this has changed?  Has anyone had success with gcc 4.0 yet?
>>
>> If you need to change the default version of gcc on Mac OS X use
>> the command:
>>
>> sudo gcc_select 3.3
>>

> This is probably the solution.
> Why?
> because you can only use g77 with gcc-3.x OR gfortran with
> gcc-4.x.  You cannot use g77 with gcc-4 they are incompatible.
> So if you have a Python/R/Perl/you-name-it binary containing
> Fortran objects built with g77 you cannot extend it with code
> compiled with gcc-4.  This is true on any platform.

Why doesn't the setup.py script for scipy take care of this detail?
Or how do I configure setup.py to take care of this
dependency.

So to be specific I select gcc 3.3 before I run scipy's setup.py
build and setup.py install and then I set it back.

The mac scipy install instructions list the following packages that
scipy is dependent on. Some are downloadable binaries
some you have to build. Do I need to redo all these packages with gcc
3.3 or are some of them smart enough to select the
correct compiler?

Numeric
Numarray
G77
FFTW
F2PY
GNUPlot
AquaTerm

basically I have to start over?

Is DarwinPorts smart enough to use the correct compiler?

Thanks for you help
do you have documented how you set up scipy.

I am trying to figure out what approach to use. I wanted to use
framework python because I wanted to do some mac gui
work as well but may I should just cut my losses and use DarwinPorts
for scientific stuff. Any good reasons not to?

> The issue arises mainly on Tiger because it does not have an
> included Fortran compiler and out of the box it defaults to using
> gcc-4.  Binary packages are shipped built with g77 and sometimes
> including g77.  These are bound to fail on Tiger unless the default
> compiler is changed using the gcc_select command as above.
>
> I have built Scipy with gcc-4, but you must use gfortran to compile
> all the Fortran code for that to work.
>
> I do wish someone on Python, R-project or some other web site would
> document this issue.  I must have posted at least twenty messages
> saying the same thing.
>
> Bill Northcott

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.
2966 Fort Hill Road