[Pythonmac-SIG] Active Directory authentication on Mac using Python

brad.allen@omsdal.com brad.allen at omsdal.com
Sun Aug 14 17:34:18 CEST 2005

Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote on 08/14/2005 05:10:51 AM:

> On 13-aug-2005, at 19:43, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>
> >    You said non-standard kerberos implementation.  I'm wondering
> > what's non-standard about it; I am under the impression it was stock
> > MIT kerberos.
> >
> Active Directory uses the kerberos with some non-standard extensions.
> IIRC they use this to stuff authorisation information inside a ticket.
>
> BTW. Active Directory != Open Directory, looking at an OSX system
> won't teach you a lot about Active Directory :-)

I'm still stuck on this, which means the Mac client of my app
is dead in the water. I was able to get AD authentication working
on Windows using win23com.client, which of course doesn't exist for Mac.

Because of the difficulty in getting python-ldap to build on Mac OS 10.4
(nobody on that mailing list has responded to my plea for help), I'm
just about ready to give up on that approach. That leaves me with
finding and hiring a Mac programmer who knows something about AD or LDAP,
or
using subprocess.py to call Apple's built-in OpenLDAP (which seems
like an awkward approach).

At this point, all I'm trying to do is get the client GUI app to
authenticate with AD.

Brad Allen
IT Desktop Support

brad.allen at omsdal.com