[Pythonmac-SIG] libpython for 2.4.1 on OSX 10.3

Eli Stevens (WG.c) listsub at wickedgrey.com
Wed Aug 17 00:36:18 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Eli Stevens (WG.c) wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get Inline::Python (allows python to be called from perl
>> with very little glue) working on OSX 10.3.  I have installed the
>> framework build of 2.4.1 and am able to use it, run scripts, etc.
>

> Sounds like their build scripts are broken.  The correct way to
> determine how to link to Python is to ask Python (via distutils, or
> read its Makefile directly).  You should talk to them about this  problem.

Thanks for the quick response.  :)

I'll see what trouble I can stir up on that side of the fence and will
report back.  :)

> However, the quick & dirty workaround would to be to do something  like
> this:
>
> sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/
> python2.4 /usr/local/include/python2.4
> sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python /
> usr/local/lib/libpython2.4.dylib
>
> It should be able to use -lpython2.4 at that point, and might even  find
> the include files where it expects to find them.

Previously, I had tried giving the real filenames to the inline install,
and it didn't work.  After creating the symlinks, the behavior remained
unchanged (including a make clean; make; make install of
Inline::Python).  :/  As far as I know, I used the standard MacPython
package to install[1], and I don't believe that I chose anything but
standard/default options.  Are there other libraries that need to be
pulled in along with libpython?  Some -lfoo I need to specify?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm a relative OSX
newbie, and am not really familiar with the spin OSX puts on things
targeted for Linux (not that I'm a Linux guru either).

Thanks again for your help,
Eli

[1] - MD5 (MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg) = 1db4d575a2c5d6ab24be10c38154551a