[Pythonmac-SIG] Some questions about going to MacOS X 10.4

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Aug 24 01:59:37 CEST 2005

On Aug 23, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> In article <3773FB37-F878-419C-80BD-E9869A8881B1 at redivi.com>,
>  Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 23, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>>

>>> I've been considering upgrading my Mac to 10.4.2. However, I notice
>>> that
>>> there are very few python packages for 10.4 at
>>> <http://pythonmac.org/packages/>...
>>>

>> The version marker for a package is the minimum required version
>> (really -- the version of Mac OS X on which it was built).  10.3
>> packages work fine on 10.4, especially those for Python 2.4.
>>

> That is great news!
>
> It would be helpful for the page to note that fact. Any suggestions on
> how to encourage or help that to happen?

Write the copy and I'll paste it in :)

>>> As an aside, I'd love to upgrade to python 2.4.x but then to
>>> distribute
>>> my app I'd have to figure out how to build a fully standalone app
>>> (one
>>> that includes python).
>>>

>> If you're using py2app, that happens by default when using a non-
>> System interpreter.
>>

> Perfect. And I'm guessing that py2app can be asked to make fully
> standalone even if using the built-in python interpreter (thus
> allowing
> me to eventually build on 10.5 and run on 10.4).

py2app refuses to place any files that are part of the operating
system into an application.  If you want a standalone application,
you must use a standalone interpreter to build it.  Generally,
software that ships with OS X is built with flags such that it won't
work on previous versions of Mac OS X anyway.