[Pythonmac-SIG] readline support in ActivePython 2.4.2?

Dave davbrow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:40:22 CET 2005

On 11/30/05, Chris Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> > I'm not done with installs.  I tried to install matplotlib from source
> > to get a current version.  That went equally as well (i.e., bad),
> > possibly for similar reasons, but that's another story.
>
> Did you follow the process I used for the older MPL package at
> pythonmac.org? The instructions should be in the package. If so, what
> happened?
>
> I'm sorry I don't have the need for it right now, so it's hard to make
> the time.
>
> By the way, if you get it working, please do contribute it back to
> pythonmac.org.
>
> -Chris
>

> --
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT         (206) 526-6959   voice
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

 Chris,

I did try to use those notes and another document from a web site.  I posted
a question with the error report on matplotlib-users so I'll just summarize
here:

  [I said]

> I compiled/installed versions of freetype and libpng but I'm not really
> sure if or how to get matplotlib to find them.  Anyway, I didn't
> notice errors when matplotlib installed but when running ipython and
> typing import pylab I get the exception below.
>

> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packag=
> es/matplotlib/font_manager.py
>     37 import matplotlib
>     38 from matplotlib import afm
> ---> 39 from matplotlib import ft2font
>     40 from matplotlib import rcParams, get_data_path, get_home,
> get_confi=
> gdir
>     41
>
> ImportError: Failure linking new module:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packag=
> es/matplotlib/ft2font.so:
> Symbol not found: _vsprintf$LDBLStub
>  Referenced from:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packag=
> es/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup

It was late night when I originally posted this but now I can guess what it
might mean.  Is ft2font.so the actual name of the binary freetype library
file?  And let me guess, I need to drag a file with that name into
site-packages/matplotlib?  I don't have acces to the machine right now but
I'll try tonight.  Originally I thought that the error was coming from an
existing module called ft2font.so but perhaps that's not the case?

In general will unix apps that need libraries find them if they are found on
your $PATH or are they hard-coded to look somewhere specific.  I keep
running into library and path issues again and again on unix systems.

-- Dave