[Pythonmac-SIG] Speed up Python on the Mac?

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Tue Dec 6 18:23:54 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Louis Pecora wrote:

> I see there are many other approaches (SWIG, Pyrex, Psyco -- some may
> not be available on the Mac), so I thought I would start here to ask
> what people in this email list use and recommend.

Rewriting as "C" extensions is a good approach. But as you already
said, it may be time consuming. Maybe break the program in small
chunks to see where the bottle neck really exists. If your looking
for the culprit, I would recommend taking a look at hotshot <http://
docs.python.org/lib/module-hotshot.html>.

Although it's part of the standard modules, some people do not
realize it exists. I found this and other performance tips on Skip's
site <http://orca.mojam.com/~skip/python/fastpython.html>.

Regardless, sounds like you already know the culprit.

Although this will not help you know, I have been told, Pycho <http://
psyco.sourceforge.net/> will run on the Intel Chip.

hth, Brian Ray
http://brianray.chipy.org