[Pythonmac-SIG] Speed up Python on the Mac?

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Dec 6 20:14:25 CET 2005

Christopher Barker wrote:

> Louis Pecora wrote:
>
>> Christopher Barker wrote:
>

>> Yeow, Chris, you really have a lot to say about what I'm interested
>> in.  Thanks very much!
>

> That's because I'm in the same boat. I keep bouncing back and forth
> between the approaches, because it's hard to find one that does
> everything well. At the moment, I think I'm going with SWIG. I found
> some typemaps (what SWIG uses to translate for Python types to C
> types) for Numeric arrays that I want to use.

I use Numeric a lot.  Where are those typemaps?   Por favor.  :-)

> I'm going with SWIG because I want to wrap a couple existing
> libraries, and one that is under development now, and we need to use
> from both C++ and Python. If it were just me, I'd dump C++ for primary
> app development (like you're working on), and just write Python for
> anything not computationally intensive. But it's not up to me, and
> folks here are distrustful of anything "new".

At NOAA?  Isn't that a research place?  Sheeze.  You think they'd want
you looking for new stuff.

> If I didn't need to use the same libs from C++ and Python, and was
> more comfortable with C++ I'd probably give Boost::python a try. Or
> Pyrex. It depends on whether you see yourself writing just the inner
> loops in C, where pyrex would be an excellent choice, or writing a
> full lib with classes and all that, where Boost::Python would probably
> be a better option.

I tried installing the Boost libraries and got hung up.  That was for
another project where I wanted to use someone elses code for n-ary
search tress, but it required boost.  Never did get it to work.

> I'd like to hear how things go for you. Particularly if you use SWIG,
> we could probably help each other out.

Ya got a deal.  I'm going to look hard at SWIG right now.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora