[Pythonmac-SIG] universal python framework?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Dec 9 22:09:33 CET 2005

What with one thing or another, that's how I've had to build
everything so far - build once for each and merge them.  Tho with my
limited skills, I've taken a more rough approach - build ppc,
duplicate and clean, add in i386 options manually to makefiles,
build, merge using the same link commands as the package uses.  I
didn't know about lipo, that looks like it would simplify the merging.

I think I can wait for a universal build of python, and just build
the python bits ppc-only for now.  Not many (if any) will be able to
test the i386 side yet.

On Dec 9, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> There's a fairly recent Apple technote that discusses how to build
> universal binaries for products with a configure/make build
> procedure, such as Python, and I hope to look at that next week. But
> Ronald already discovered that distutils has problems with building
> universal extensions, so that may also turn out to be a problem
> (although he wants to build something more complicated, with the PPC
> binary being 10.3/10.4 compatible).
>
> And the "easy" way is to simply configure Python twice (Python builds
> nicely in a different directory than the source, I'm doing that all
> the time), once for ppc once for x86, and then using lipo to combine
> everything.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro