[Pythonmac-SIG] Solution to some SWIG Install problems on Mac OS X

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Dec 13 18:41:54 CET 2005

Christopher Barker wrote:

>Hi Lou,
>
>I'm glad you got this working. Thanks for posting the resolution to your
>problems, it's good to have this stuff archived. If time permits, I hope top
>do some SWIGing myself, so perhaps we can help each other out.

Sounds good to me.  I have mostly made the decision to do future
projects in Python with the usual profiling and C module extending,
hence my need for speed.  I settled on SWIG (at least for now) because
it seems established and solid and not too complex for me (I am not a
comupter guru).  I did get a simple example to work so I am on my way.
I will be diving into this more in the future.

For graphics, I have chosen wxPython.  I know there is matplotlib, but
using it interactively baffled me (although several nice people sent me
examples).  I may include it in my toolbox in the future.  For now
wxPython also also offers event control.  I have yet to learn that and I
still mostly do print  readline kind of I/0 and menus.  I keep it
simple, but occasionally GUI stuff is useful.

>Yup. Technically, a file name on *nix can have any charactor in it except a
>"/", so many utilities use space to separate things that it's hard for things
>to work right with them in there. I spend most of my time on Linux, so I'm
>not in the habit of using spaces in file names anyway.

Yeah, I am converting my coding directories over to that style.  I have
capitulated.  :-)

>The dangers of borrowing other people's code! Why are you using tsch anyway?
>bash really is nicer, unless you're really used to a C shell. And it's the
>OS-X default (and most Linuxes also).

Well, I thought the default was tsch.  Shows what I know.  I really
don't like the tsch scripting language.  It's more clumsy so I suppose I
should switch.   Not sure how to do that, but I'll look it up.

>Setting CC to g++ is a very odd thing to do. It's going to break a lot of make
>files, CC should be a C compiler!

Yeah, the dangers of other's login scripts, huh?  Well, I switched it to
gcc so I assume it should be better now.  SWIG workds, at least.

> You should probably just not set it to anything. gcc should be the
> default
>
>anyway. On my system, /usr/bin/CC is a link to gcc-3.3

[cut massive invective against Windows admin mode  :-)   ]

>Wow! I got carried away with that!

Yeah, but it was  soooooo good.

> I'll be interested in what you come up with, I think our needs are
> similar.

I'm sure I'll be back.

--
Cheers,