[Pythonmac-SIG] Solution to some SWIG Install problems on Mac OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Dec 13 19:44:40 CET 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Louis Pecora wrote:

> Rob Managan wrote:
>
>> While I have not tried WxPython I have built C modules for python
>> using SWIG and python's distutils. That trades the headaches of
>> makefiles for writing a setup.py file. I can give an example and they
>> really are not that bad once you have done it once!
>>

> I will be honest and admit I do not grok disutils.  I sense power
> there,
> but have not had the guts nor time to explore it.  If you have a
> simple
> example that is easy to send, please do.  Since I will probably be
> doing
> more and more with Python, I am trying to expose myself to useful
> branches of the Python world without becoming overwhelmed.

You need to understand distutils, or your experience developing
Python extensions will be extremely painful.  distutils is not at all
difficult.  The documentation is pretty good, and you can always look
at the thousands of setup.py files out there written by other Python
developers.  Pick a project similar to yours and use its setup.py as
a template.

Or, you can do everything manually and live a painful existence...
especially because the correct linker flags and compiler options are
a mile long on Mac OS X and totally different than those from any
other platform.