[Pythonmac-SIG] modifying setup.py: py2exe -> py2app

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Feb 2 04:48:51 CET 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 9:53 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> The list of options py2app will accept is shown when you do "python
> setup.py py2app --help".  These can be converted into setup.py speak
> by replacing the hyphens with underscores and passing them to setup()
> in an options dictionary (many of the examples do this).

I'm in the same boat with C. Jerdonek, though I suspect I know less. So
when I saw this passage, I hung, as always, on every word from py2app's
own master. Aha! I said.

And I do find that syntax in two places: the setup.py files for
PyTestPlugin and wxGlade each have two *nested* dictionaries, which I
understand *almost* well enough to use it. Two others (TinyTinyEdit and
aliens) have a simple dict that maps a script to a plist. And the
setup.py for superdoodle is one I really want to understand and can't
quite:
		setup(
			name="superdoodle",
			**{buildstyle : ['superdoodle.py']}
		)
where buildstyle has been set according to platform.

But I for one am still having trouble duplicating and extending this
syntax for my own files. (Nothing in the Distutils docs on any of this,
of course.) I think this is where some of us need a fill-in-the-gap
tutorial. Any mercy welcome.

Charles Hartman

"The earth does not get fat." --Nguni proverb