[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Matplotlib-users] matplotlib OS-X binary problems.

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 4 06:17:42 CET 2005

Chris Barker wrote:

> However, that doesn't seem to work if I have libfreetype.dylib somewhere
> standard, and I certainly don't want to remove it! (Maybe I could
> temporarily, but that's hardly the robust solution I'm looking for)

Change the paths that distutils will add to the link line. They're at
the top of setupext.py . Remove the ones you don't need.

> By the way, it would also be good to get this to work with TK and/or
> GTK. Has anyone done that successfully that would like to help out with
> this?

With TclTkAqua, it Just Works.

> Also, as far as PyGTK is concerned. Can you run it without running Fink?
> That's the only way I've seen it done. If it is a Fink only option, then
> this is moot, as I'm looking for a Fink free approach, and someone else
> has put together a fink matplotlib package.

You could try Darwinports. Set Darwinports' prefix to /usr/local, and
use port(1) to make Installer.app packages for GTK et al. Bundle them
with your bdist_mpkg metapackage.

My strategy for building matplotlib (and I've done it *a lot* in the
past few weeks) is as follows:

I have Darwinports with a prefix in a GNU Stow repository. What Stow
does is it allows you to install stuff into it's own directory
(/usr/local/stow/darwinports, which has bin/, lib/, share/ et al.) and
then makes symlinks such that everything appears to be installed to
/usr/local. So I have Darwinports install libpng and libfreetype. I have
a script that will remove the symlinks to the dylibs for libpng,
libfreetype, and libz (I could probably resolve this by changing the
order of search). I build matplotlib and double-check the dylib
dependencies with "otool -L". I do not bother with GTK at this time.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter