[Pythonmac-SIG] pythonw

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sun Feb 6 03:55:31 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>It makes /usr/bin/python depend on another executable at a specific
>location on the filesystem,

Would it be possible to keep /usr/bin/python as a full-fledged
interpreter while adding to it the ability to automatically start a
second interpreter at a known location when needed? That should avoid
breaking anything that's dependent on there being an interpreter at
/usr/bin/python. Or maybe stick the path info in a hidden config file
that the interpreter can read when it wants to know its location. I'm
not clear on why we need to replace it altogether just to achieve the
desired effect.

>bundlebuilder *needs* a local copy of a full Python interpreter, it
>would also need to be patched.

How big a job would that be?

>>BTW, what about the sourceforge patches? Would one or both of those
>>solve the problem any better?
>
>No.
>
>Anyway, the best way to do it is to fix the GUI frameworks because
>that would solve other people's problems too (outside the Python
>world).

Obviously. Though I think even Jack might struggle at trying to fix
Apple itself. :)

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/