[Pythonmac-SIG] Fink, DarwinPorts vs py2app

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 8 18:57:05 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> On 8-feb-05, at 15:51, Brendan Simons wrote:
>>
>>> My question:  can I use py2app to build a
>>> redistributable app that's statically linked to either
>>> package manager's libraries?  Or do I have to install
>>> Fink/DarwinPorts on each of my clients' machines?

If you are distributing a single substantial application, py2app is
probably the way to go. However, if you are distributing a set of apps,
you may not want each one to have a complete copy of everything, so...

>>> (I would like to develop an app that uses numeric,
>>> scientific python, wxPython, and matplotlib, which are
>>> all somewhat difficult to install by hand, but are all
>>> readily available via Fink or DarwinPorts)

The Fink and Darwinports versions of these will give you X11 versions
(particularly wxPython), which you may not want (Someone please correct
me if I'm wrong). In fact, if you use fink, you may get it all working
with the fink Python. Will py2app bundle a fink python app? And as Bob
pointed out, fink, at least, will give you a bunch if libs that
duplicate ones that are included with a stock OS-X

As to the "difficult to install":

Numeric is easy, with either setup.py build (once it's fixed...argg!),
or even easier, with the mpgk that Bob put out.

matplotlib is now easy, thanks to the mpkg that I just put together
(only works with Agg and wxPython at the moment, though poorly tested
with wxPython. I'm planning on making a GTK and TK compatible version
soon, anyone want to help?). Bob, if you're reading this, could post the
link?

SciPy is probably a pain in the $^%^&. I haven't tried it recently.
However, my goal is to make an nice OS-X package of this as well. I'm
looking for folks to help with that.

My impression of fink (and darwinports may be different, I'll be
checking that out) is that it's kind of an all-or-nothing proposition.
If you want a Linux-like system, running in parallel to OS-X, on the
same kernel, you'll be quite happy. If you want it to feel like it's
part of OS-X you won't. Being a Linux geek, you'd think I'd be happy
with the former, but frankly, If I want Linux,. I'll run Linux (and I
do). On OS-X I want OS-X, and, more importantly, folks I work with, that
I give apps too, don't want to have anything to do with Linux, command
lines, X11, or figuring out apt-get.

I really think we can get a complete set of OS-X friendly packages out
for all to use. it's really not all that hard, once you've got the
tricks figured out. We'll have a MUCH easier time getting folks to use
python on OS-X if we have nice friendly binaries for them to install.

By the way, what is the status of Package Manger, and the two
repositories (Jack's and Bob's) Are they being maintained? should I
submit matplotlib to them?

If anyone want to help with my SciPy on OS-X project, please let me
know. There is some real momentum in the NumPy/SciPy crowd to make SciPy
easier to install right now.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov