[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Guikits

Brendan Simons brendansimons at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 9 16:09:54 CET 2005

> It doesn't matter how cheap and fast it is for 5% of
> the market.
>
> If you look at open source graphical toolkits that
> support at least
> two platforms, you won't find any that started on
> the Mac.  These
> are the ones I know of that can be used from Python
> and where they
> started.
>
>   - QT (Unix)
>   - GTK (Unix)
>   - wxWidgets (Windows)
>   - Tk  (Unix)
>   - Fltk (Unix)
>   - Fox (Unix)
>
> Consequently the Mac versions of these (if supported
> at all) is often
> not as good as the original platform.

I'd just like to point out an exception to your rule.
REALBasic was originally developed for the mac, but
now includes versions for windows and linux.  Any one
version can cross compile to the other two platforms,
and their (proprietary) guikit produces native-looking
& feeling apps on each.  In fact, I found developing
quick applications so easy I was happy to buy a
license.

This just goes to show that there IS money to be made
catering to mac users.  In fact, the only reason I've
switched to Python is to future-proof my applications.
   (But I would -love- to have an IDE / gui builder as
simple as the one that came with RB)

-Brendan