[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python newbies

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 10 00:28:08 CET 2005

Just a slight clarification:

Roger Binns wrote:
> If you look at open source graphical toolkits that support at least
> two platforms, you won't find any that started on the Mac.  These
> are the ones I know of that can be used from Python and where they started.
>
>  - QT (Unix)
>  - wxWidgets (Windows)
 >  - Fox (Unix)

Actually, I know wxWidgets was designed, from the beginning, to be cross
platform, specifically targeting Windows and Unix (X, originally Motif).
I think that's where the "w" and "x" comes from.

I think QT and Fox were designed that way from the start as well.

You're certainly correct that none of them had the Mac as a target at
the beginning. If only Apple would port Cocoa to Unix and Windows.

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> I think we're probably going to have real GNUStep support for PyObjC
> sometime in the next few months.

Cool. How usable is GnuStep on Windows now? and how compatible are
GnuStep and Cocoa?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov