[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Brendan Simons brendansimons at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 10 04:00:08 CET 2005

The IDE thread is a recurring one.  Here's my experience as another
Python newbie.  I tried SPE, PythonCard, PyOxice, PyPE, eclipse and
wing (under x11).  All work, but I found that each one had enough
quirks (mostly UI inconsistencies, but some are downright unstable)
that I was less productive than without.   Not to sell any short, I'm
sure they will get better given time.

FWIW, the winning formula for me right now is:

1) Editor:  TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/index.shtml).
  -Free, "Made For Mac", Code Colouring,  Method Indexing, The ability
to run scripts from the editor, More text manipulation options than I
can count.

2) GuiEditor:  XRCed.py (comes with the wxPython install package).  (Or
code the wxPython by hand, which takes longer, but gives you a little
more control over the result).

3) And an instance of terminal running python interactive mode.
Actually, this is the most valuable Python tool I've found so far -
it's like a scratch pad where I can quickly check assumptions, or test
out ideas.

The only thing I'm missing now is a debugger with breakpoints, call
stack, and variable watches.  I'll have to settle for random print
statements for now.

-Brendan