[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Guikits

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Thu Feb 10 04:13:36 CET 2005

> I don't see much merit at all in
> these simple "this toolkit is inferior because it's not made on Mac"
> type of discussions that keep popping up.

You are missing the point.  The various cross platform Python
gui toolkits are all due to history, developer attention,
market share etc inferior when compared to their support
on other platforms.

The OP was talking about starting a new gui app.  He can just
ignore all the other platforms, use the native Mac apis and
have a good looking app.

Or he can pick one of those toolkits and may encounter some
shortcomings.  Helping to address those shortcomings will improve
the toolkit.  Using the toolkit will reduce the costs for
making the app available to other (and in the case of Windows
significantly larger) markets.  But it also reduces the costs
for people on those other platforms to move their applications
to the Mac.  That continues to improve the software ecosystem
on Mac, improves things for users, and ultimately increases
absolute numbers of users and market share.  The latter two
then give you a bigger market for your original app and
any followups.

Python is an excellent language for keeping porting costs
down.  Out of the various Python gui toolkits, I personally
think wxPython does the best job and merits attention.

And yes I am putting my money and time where my mouth is.

Roger