[Pythonmac-SIG] Zope py2app, some progress

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 10 04:29:54 CET 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 10:13 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2005, at 9:04 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>> You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever write inside of a bundle
>> anyway.  You should make this runtime directory in /tmp,
>> /Library/Application Support/, etc.
>>
>> In fact, I was thinking that I should chmod -R g-w the contents of
>> the app bundle a couple hours ago :)
>>
>> See "Where To Put Application Files" in
>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
>> BPFileSystem/index.html
>
> I've got this gospel, but I wonder how it relates to your message, a
> little while back, saying -- if I understood you right! -- that
> there's nowhere in a Windows application to put a data file that's
> comparable to putting it inside the bundle (as Apple wants). Am I
> terminally confused, or only somewhat?

On Windows, you either put the data files in some arbitrary fixed place
(may be relative to the executable), or you compile them into the
executable as resources (bleh).

On Mac OS X, there are standards and the standards say that all data
files required for the application to operate should be read-only and
should be placed in the Resources tree of the application bundle.