[Pythonmac-SIG] Zope py2app, some progress

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Thu Feb 10 08:51:44 CET 2005

> Obviously not people familiar with http://developer.apple.com/ :)

Actually Steven Palm who did most of the original got some changes
I still don't understand into libusb to make it work correctly on
Mac.  There is deep voodoo involved since some of the phones are
actually composite devices and MacOS only binds drivers to some
of the interfaces while BitPim needed to access the other interfaces.

> Well, if you take a look at the example, it's really straight-forward
> and you can come up with something specific to your app in just an hour
> or two.

I have looked through the API and I have looked in the Explorer.  I
can find serial/modem ports and I can find USB devices.  I still
don't see where they are linked.

For example the device with USB vendorid 0x1004, productid 0x6000,
interface 1 is /dev/cu.usbmodem5B231.  I don't see where to get
the USB details starting with the /dev name or the /dev name starting
with the USB details.

I have no problem getting the details seperately.  It is linking
them that matters.

> compatible with BitPim.  I'd really like to see BlackBerry 7100
> support, but it doesn't even show up as a serial device over USB

That is why BitPim uses libusb for some phones and just talks
straight at them.  In fact that is even easier than serial style
access.

> don't really know where to start with reverse engineering it

Generally you need to record what some existing working program
does and go from there.  That or make wild guesses.

Roger