[Pythonmac-SIG] Fink, DarwinPorts vs py2app

Michael Maibaum mike at maibaum.org
Thu Feb 10 18:07:34 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:57:05AM -0800, Chris Barker wrote:
>Bob Ippolito wrote:

>If you are distributing a single substantial application, py2app is
>probably the way to go. However, if you are distributing a set of apps,
>you may not want each one to have a complete copy of everything, so...

>The Fink and Darwinports versions of these will give you X11 versions
>(particularly wxPython), which you may not want (Someone please correct
>me if I'm wrong). In fact, if you use fink, you may get it all working

FWIW, DarwinPorts has 'aqua' variants of many packages, and if you want them for something that doesn't have one, either add the variant and send off the patch, or make a request.

As for Python. As soon as there is a framework version of Python that can be installed via a destroot for packaging, I'll add it to DarwinPorts. Or if someone can figure out how to hack the current version to do it...

similarly I have an Portfile for an X11 version of SciPy, and an adapted one for aqua - but the inability to install Python Framework via a destroot is a blocker for that.

DarwinPorts aims to integrate where practical - so we depend on our own version of Python because the OS version is broken (as the fix packages available show) and because we don't want to slap cruft into the main part of the filesystem.

+ we want to use python2.4 for the most part, and Panther has 2.3.

cheers

Michael