[Pythonmac-SIG] Main Python on Mac version?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Fri Feb 11 17:59:51 CET 2005

> The standard library is large, it's entirely possible that five bugfix
> releases go by and don't touch anything you use.

I think some of the weakref bugfixes (ie in the C core) may be relevant
although it I may also have accidentally the usage in such a way that
it works around the problems.

> If you want to build with a newer version of Python, go ahead, there's
> nothing stopping you and py2app will do the right thing.  Simply invoke
> setup.py with the python you want included in the application bundle.
> The system Python is a special case in that it *refuses* to copy it
> into the bundle for various reasons.

On Linux the pydotorg Python does install into a different directory
structure and all works fine (the base Python on Redhat 9 is 2.2).
I'm sure py2app works fine, but it is trivial compared to my other
dependencies, especially wxPython.  The wxPython page says:

   wxPythonOSX needs a "Framework" build of Python 2.3, also known
   as MacPython-OSX. If you have OSX 10.3 (Panther) then you already
   have what you need ...

> But my point was that you only need to build on the lowest common
> denominator and it will work everywhere else.

No, your point was that it *should* work everywhere else.  A failure
to work everywhere else has already happened to us once and who knows
what will actually happen when Tiger comes out.  (I am definitely
intending to drop 10.2 support at that point).

Roger