[Pythonmac-SIG] Main Python on Mac version?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Fri Feb 11 18:34:04 CET 2005

> To my knowledge, the weakref stuff fixes some edge cases that you
> probably don't have.  Those bugs have been in weakref for a long time.

BitPim also isn't a long running process so leaks wouldn't be that
big a deal.

> Yeah, if you want to use a non-system Python with an extension built
> with the system Python there are some potential issues.

Is there a page somewhere that actually explains what all this
terminology is about (eg Framework, alias bundles and similar).

I am used to the Python files and libraries just existing in a
conventional filesystem.  Nothing complicated.  All very trivial.
Multiple versions can be installed.  A simple --prefix can move
where it is in ./configure.  Each one is an island with no possibility
of sharing extensions or modifications between them.  (That is a very
good thing - keeps it simple.)  wxPython does have some dynamic
linking issues on Unix (it hard codes the path to the wxWidgets
directory at the ELF level, but chrpath fixes that.)

> This failure was probably due to the fact that you were not using
> py2app at the time.

We used to use bundlebuilder.  So it sounds like there is 99.999% chance
we won't have to do seperate 10.4 builds.  Unless we do things like
hook into SpotLight  ....

Roger