[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Arthur Elsenaar arthur at iaaa.nl
Sun Feb 13 19:19:09 CET 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 17:01, Troy Rollins wrote:

> Well, I've transitioned between tools like Director, REALbasic, and
> Revolution, and extremely quickly moved into creating non-trivial
> applications. With Python, it is far less condusive to "playing" and
> therefore seems to hold me somewhere around the print "hello world"
> stage.

I didn't follow this thread from the beginning, but did anyone bring up
PythonCard? I also previously used REALbasic and also have some
Proce55ing experience. I did struggle to get started with Python, but
PythonCard that is based on wxPython got me going. The PythonCard folks
have the intention to make Python as easy to use as REALbasic. They
aren't there yet, that's for sure, but it is useable.

Another fun project is DrawBot by Just, it's a Proce55ing like program
to learn about graphics.

One of the drawbacks of using wxPython in my experience, was the
threading support, something I really had to fight with; message
queues? My next try will be PyObjC as it builds on a good application
framework, but unfortunately it's not very cross platform friendly.
(Does anyone know if Mono will have a Python binding?)

My 2 euro cents.

Arthur