[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Sun Feb 13 20:26:30 CET 2005

Jon Schull wrote:

>     Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>     Open source developers work on whatever they want or need to work
>     on, so the particular problems you have will get solved when
>     someone with the time, skill, and motivation to do so decides to
>     scratch that itch. If you want to speed this process along, you
>     have a few options:
>
>     - Persuade a suitable developer to work on the problem areas you
>     have (usually with money or a job)
>     - Fix the problems you have yourself (hey, at least you CAN)
>     - Deal with it as-is
>
>     .. beggars can't be choosers :)
>
>     -bob [ comment in the context of distribution packages but it
>     applies to the discussion of IDE chaos as well].
>

> My comment:
>
> (1) In this business, beggars do choose, and they vote with their
> feet. If a beginner-friendly IDE is not an interesting problem for
> cognoscenti, the python foundation (or some such) should step in, or
> the python community should consider the possibility that the
> demographics of the development community is in danger of ceding the
> next generation...

Interesting comment.  I do know that there is a lot of interest in
Python in the scientific community.  Some SIAM (Society for Industrial
and Applied Mathematics -- BIG coverage there) conferences have had
special minisymposia on using Python for numerical coding.  But most
people just have no idea where to start or are put off by all the
packages out there and the need to find one's way through the forest.  I
suspect a simple "all-in-one" package of Python for Scientists,
Mathematicians, and Engineers (a la MATLAB) would be a hit.  Given the
existence of Matplotlib in Python that might be a reasonable target.
Even if it were just a "poor man's MATLAB" that would be fine.  Just so
long as it installed in one shot and was reasonable easy to use.  But
maybe that's asking a lot.  I don't know.

That all-in-one need is what propelled MATLAB to become a standard in
some areas of Engineering and Science.  Of course, you have to be able
to afford several thousand US$ to get up and running.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora

Code 6362