[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Python User Newbies

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Mon Feb 14 03:18:26 CET 2005

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> (Footnote two: ActiveState makes a  commercial IDE for open-source
> languages, including Python, called Komodo: it's available for Windows
> and various Nixes, but not for the Mac. The only reason I can think of
> for this is market strategy, as Komodo is built on top of Mozilla;
> there's no reason that it shouldn't run on the Mac. So perhaps you
> should also lobby ActiveState to bring out Komodo-Mac.)

I know some of the ActiveState folks and have talked to them about
this.  There are a few issues: Komodo was started with some very early
release of Mozilla (I'm thinking 0.7, but it might even have been
earlier), and the Mac support wasn't as good then.  Also, it uses
Scintilla as it's text-editing component (as does wx), and that has
only been ported to the Mac recently.  Finally, they haven't had enough
demand from (potentially) paying customers.  Post-finally, they don't
have much knowledge of OS X among their development staff.  So just
because Komodo is built on top of Mozilla doesn't mean they get a Mac
port for free, unfortunately.

--Dethe

"the city carries such a cargo of pathos and longing
  that daily life there vaccinates us against revelation"
  -- Pain Not Bread, The Rise and Fall of Human Breath

"All spiritual paths have four steps: show up, pay attention, tell the
truth, and don't be attached to the results."  Angeles Arien