[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Mon Feb 14 04:18:07 CET 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 5:00 PM, has wrote:

> There's a paradox at work here. What newbies need from an IDE is _very
> different_ to what experienced users expect from one.

I don't think I agree with this. Or rather, I don't really see why it
should be true. I don't think the issue is the lack of a toddler chair
for absolute beginners.

I'll go out on a limb and declare myself Typical of a certain kind of
newbie. I come to Python on the Mac as somebody used to the Mac
interface (I never trusted myself to *open* Terminal until a few months
ago), who had programmed in C and other languages, mostly under DOS
years ago.

The gap for a lot of us isn't at the *very* beginning; the Mac Python
IDE is great for learning syntax and some main modules. But very early
on, most of us want to write something with a windows-and-buttons
interface. So you settle -- in ignorance! -- on a package (wx, tk,
whatever), and an editor (TextWrangler is excellent, and free); and
then what? To run the code you write, and to figure out why it won't
run, you have to go out of the editor into . . . what? The Terminal,
and Unix, and pdb . . . This is a lot to learn. It feels as though your
next step after "name = cardString[0:15]" and "import string" (or
rather, no, that was an old tutorial, we don't do that any more . . .)
is to learn Unix.

OK, I *know* that's a wild exaggeration -- I'm talking about the
perception. (Sudo, is he that anime director? Why can't my module find
my other module?) Having worked on this for a while, I know that
there's not all that much you have to know just to move forward -- but
there's not much around to help you figure what you need right away and
what can wait. For the beginner, the Terminal is a place of maximum
entropy: a wonderful variety of ways to do things right, and ten
thousand ways to do them wrong, sometimes with very messy results.

Oh and by the way, somebody who comes at it like this very probably has
"cross-platform" as a firm wish -- that's one of the reasons for
turning to Python.

So an environment (in the vernacular, not the Unix sense) is what the
beginner needs -- an IDE from within which everything you need to do
can be done, and not dangerously much else. But if the IDE is complete
enough for this beginner to work in, isn't it likely to be a reasonable
place for someone to work who knows more, too?

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Charles Hartman