[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac newbie

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 14 20:05:25 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> 4.  AnyGui seemed like a really good idea to me.
>

> Lots of good ideas never get the attention and effort they deserve.

Except that AnyGui was never a good idea. A wrapper around a wrapper
around a wrapper around a ..... just too much! As far as I can tell,
there are two good ideas:

1) a toolkit written from scratch that draws it's own stuff on all
platforms. To get performance, much of needs to be written in a lower
level language: al la QT, GTK, Fox, etc....

2) a toolkit that wraps the native widgets on all platforms, also needs
to be written largely in a lower level language: al la wxWidgets.

What would be nicer than any of the existing alternatives is one written
specifically for Python. The problem with that is that it has a smaller
audience, so may never get done. PyGui has promise, but has a long way
to go.

http://nz.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/

 > For IDEs written in Python, in-process interpreters and
> debuggers can cause the IDE to crash, halt, or behave strangely.
> Unfortunately this is common practice.

Very good point. This locks you into using the same GUI toolkit that the
IDE uses, severely limiting the market.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov