[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Feb 14 21:52:25 CET 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

>> I tried SPE, PythonCard, PyOxice, PyPE, eclipse and
>> wing (under x11).
>
> Supposed to run on MacOS X:
> Eric3, Boa Constructor, DrPython (?), Leo (not exactly a conventional
> IDE)

Speaking of DrPython, I have an example of having it packaged in the
py2app svn trunk.. but as it uses wxScintilla, it isn't really very fun
to play with.

> Maybe someday as well:
> BlackAdder
>
> It doesn't seem to me that there are no IDEs available for Python on
> MacOS
> X (or any other common system), but rather the opposite is true imho:
> There
> are so many different ones that in fact the development ressources get
> scattered instead of concentrated and in the end none gets the effort
> that
> would be required to make it "rock-solid" and "newbie-proof".
>
> And (from my outsider perspective as a "constant newbie") this seems
> to be
> somehow symptomatic for the Python "community" altogether: Usually for
> each
> "problem" to solve, there are several implementations competing with
> each
> other. Other examples besides IDEs: DB modules, web frameworks, ORMs...
>
> If for each given problem one implementation was chosen as "the
> official
> one" and efforts would be concentrated on "hardening" this one and
> merging
> in good features/concepts from the others as far as possible, newbies
> would
> maybe get less confused and could maybe also get more productive more
> quickly due to "better quality" of the "batteries included" in
> python...

This generally happens eventually, it just takes time for one approach
to be obviously better and good enough to become the official one.  Or
at least some standard way of doing things (DB-API, WSGI, importer
protocol, etc.)