[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Feb 15 02:01:50 CET 2005

I don't want to beat this dead horse any farther into the ground, but:
I'm working on a small but not toy app, one or two thousand lines in
eight modules. To build and debug a module with "if __name__ ==
'__main__'", I can use TextWrangler's Run, or Run-with-debug if I want
to get down into pdb. This works even if the module imports other
program modules, as long as they're pretty well finished and debugged.
But to put together more than that -- to trace bugs and design flaws
having to do with the interaction among modules -- I need to turn to
the WingIDE (the only one whose debugger I've been able to get
working), which will let me step through and into my code, moving
seamlessly from module to module.

I'm not suggesting I couldn't do all this with an editor and Terminal;
I'm saying this is the easy way for me, at my stage -- beginner but not
complete beginner -- and that without the IDE I'd get lost in the
larger integrative steps. And those are the parts where a
sort-of-beginner is most likely to need help for (I'm guessing) quite a
while.

Charles Hartman