[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Feb 15 11:48:24 CET 2005

Louis Pecora <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>>Well, I think this is a subjective judgement -- a matter of
>>familiarity.  I "play" with Python all the time.  A good start is to
>>enhance your interactive experience somewhat.  Three options spring to
>>mind:
>>
>> 1) Get readline support working.  If you're still using Apple's

[...]

>> 2) Install IPython (http://ipython.scipy.org/).  This is a massive

[...]

>> 3) Install (my) PyRepl package (http://codespeak.net/pyrpl/), which
>>    is a different implementation of the same kind of thing.
>>
>>There are less terminal oriented interactive environments too -- I
>>think wxPython includes one and PyObjC has a 'PyInterpreter' example.
>>But to me they don't hold much advantage over the in-Terminal.app
>>solutions.
>>

> Well, I can just see Troy sitting at his computer reading the above
> and saying, "I rest my case."  :-)

It's all a bit unixy, yes.  OTOH, it's not exactly hard and you only
have to do it once...

> You did somewhat admit that in (1) above and in the remainder of your
> message so you are honest about the state of affairs.  And I thank you
> for all the information.  Now, where to start?  Where to start?

I don't know.  If I did know, I'd probably have done it.  It would
help if Apple shipped Python with readline support enabled, for
starters.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I think my standards have lowered enough that now I think ``good
  design'' is when the page doesn't irritate the living fuck out of