[Pythonmac-SIG] Main Python on Mac version?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Feb 18 00:15:41 CET 2005

This thread touches on something I've been wanting to do for some time
now: add a "Which Python do I need" page to the website. I'd like to
organise this by MacOS version, so people can quickly determine what
they need.

Here's a quick start for such a list, you can all help me by filling in
the blanks, missing bits, etc.

MacOSX 10.3, no special requirements:
	Use Apple-supplied Python with the MacPython Additions
MacOSX 10.3, need Python 2.4:
	MacPython 2.4.1 (forthcoming)
	Make sure to install PythonPantherFix
MacOSX 10.3, need bugfixes from Python 2.3.1-2.3.5:
	MacPython 2.3.5 for 10.2 and 10.3
	Make sure to install PythonPantherFix
MacOSX 10.3, want to distribute turnkey apps with py2app:
	MacPython 2.3.5 for 10.2 and 10.3
	(or, when it's done, MacPython 2.4.1)
	Make sure to install PythonPantherFix
MacOSX 10.3, need to run Zope/whatever other package:
	Gee... I have no idea...
MacOSX 10.3, need Python 2.2 or earlier:
	You need to build this yourself, from source
	Make sure to install PythonPantherFix

MacOSX 10.3 or 10.2, need Classic Python:
	MacPython-OS9 2.3.5

MacOSX 10.2, no special requirements:
	MacPython 2.4.1 (forthcoming)
MacOSX 10.2, need Python 2.3:
	MacPython 2.3.5
MacOSX 10.2, need Python 2.2:
	Use Apple-supplied Python

MacOSX 10.1 or earlier:
	Either build from source yourself, or make do with MacPython-OS9 2.3.5

MacOS 9.2:
	MacPython-OS9 2.3.5
MacOS 9 or 9.1:
	MacPython-OS9 2.3.5
	Also install CarbonLib 1.3 from Apple
MacOS 8.1 or later:
  	MacPython-OS9 2.2.3
	You may need to install Appearance Manager 1.1 on 8.1
Older MacOS releases, including all 68K Macintoshes:
	MacPython 1.5.2
Goldman