[Pythonmac-SIG] Why do I need PantherPythonFix?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Mon Feb 21 05:52:18 CET 2005

> 10.3.  If none of these references answer those questions, please let
> me know and I will try to add additional info to the wiki so that it is
> more clear.

I am still baffled by all this stuff.  Apparently Apple came up with this
mechanism (Frameworks) that allows for easy self containment of an
environment, as well as allowing for multiple concurrent versions.
Then they demonstrate the power of this system by only having one
version and never updating it per OS version, as well as hard coding
various things.

Seperately from that there appears to be some issue with dynamic
linking.  Apple have their own format (Macho) instead of ELF and the
issues are akin to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and rpaths hard coded in libraries.

So if all this Apple invented stuff actually has merit, why isn't
it used?  And if doesn't have merit, or Apple don't bother using
it, why not just ignore them and replace it with something that
does work, has concurrent versions and is updated?

Roger