[Pythonmac-SIG] Versions, Frameworks, Linking, PantherPythonFix

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Feb 23 20:04:50 CET 2005

"Roger Binns" <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> writes:

> Taking a step back, am I the only person who thinks the Python situation
> on Mac is absolutely ridiculous, although 10.2 looks better than 10.3.

As Bob says, you obviously haven't used 10.2...

> All I want is one up to date version of Python on my system, and have
> binary and source extensions just work.  This is what it is like on
> Windows and Linux.

Don't you remember the days where Redhat came with Python 1.5.2 and if
you upgraded that you broke redhat's tools?  Plus ca change, plus
c'est la meme chose.

If you want your Python app to work in perpetuity, you'd better bundle
a version of Python with it because one day OS X will presumably come
with 2.4 or 2.5.  This strikes me as being the same as any other
platform.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Every day I send overnight packages filled with rabid weasels to
  people who use frames for no good reason.