[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.4 test_locale fails?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Feb 27 21:30:19 CET 2005

Jim Correia wrote:
> (New to the list, couldn't find the answer in the archives...)
>
> I'm just getting around to building and installing Python 2.4 on
> 10.3.8. After building and running the tests, test_locale fails. (If I
> tweak the test to not abort after the first failure I see that it
> fails for the decimal_point and thousands_sep for most locales.)
>
> Is the test faulty? Is here a bug in Python 2.4? In the 10.3.8 locale support?

The bug is in Panther.  If you link anything against CoreFoundation it locks
out changing the locale through locale.h in C which is what Python uses.

While this could be partially fixed by putting a bunch of CF code to use the
locale API through that, it was generally agreed that with Tiger about to come
out it would be best to wait to see what the situation is then and fix accordingly.

-Brett