[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: pyobjc-1.2

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Sun Jan 2 08:13:00 CET 2005

>> I have a couple of questions about pyobjc 1.2.  First, can Categories
>> extend classes which are defined in Python?
>
> Only if they are a subclass of an Objective-C class.

OK, that's about what I expected.

>> Second, what applications can be extended with plugins?  I realize a
>> complete list is unfeasible, but which Apple applications would be a
>> good start.  As far as I can tell, Safari requires Netscape-style
>> plugins to extend it, is that wrong?
>
> Any application that expects its plugins to be written in Objective-C
> is fair game, anything else (such as Safari's Netscape-style plugins)
> is unsupported and probably won't work.

This is also what I expect, but how do I know which applications expect
plugins at all?  Can I write a plugin for Mail.app?  For iCal?  What
are the rules?  If this is in the FAQ somewhere, I haven't seen it, but
feel free to tell me to RTFM if it is.

I'm also curious how pyject works with this (if its related at all).
Can you give an example of how pyject would be used?

Thanks again.

--Dethe

"...our universities, I suggest, are not half-way out of the fifteenth
century. [...] The three or four years' course of lectures, the bachelor
who knows some, the master who knows most, the doctor who knows all,
are ideas that have come down unimpaired from the Middle Ages.
Nowadays no one should end his learning while he lives and these
university degrees are preposterous. [...] Educationally we are still
for all practical purposes in the coach and horse and galley stage." H.
G. Wells