[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Appscript Binary Installer Feedback

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Jan 13 23:38:41 CET 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 17:23, has wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
> [AppscriptTerminologyServer & RenderTerminology]
>
>> So then they shouldn't be in site-packages, because they should be
>> accessible to the user.  Either /Developer/Somewhere or
>> /Applications/Somewhere.  I use /Developer/Applications/Python
>> Tools/packagename/ when I build packages (similar to Java Tools, but
>> using a package namespace).
>
> /Applications/Somewhere might seem a bit more friendly and familiar to
> novices and newcomers. What would be the advantages of
> /Developer/Somewhere? Sticking them in with other MacPython-related
> apps in /Applications/MacPython-2.x may be option option, though may
> be better from a marketing PoV to use a more high-profile, visible
> location like /Applications/Appscript (could maybe stick the appscript
> docs in there too).

/Developer/Somewhere is where all of the other developer applications
are (Xcode, etc.).

> p.s. Incidentally, if we could think of some way to make the appscript
> documentation show up in Help Center like MacPython's does, that'd be
> an additional plus.

That's certainly possible, especially if it's HTML.  I don't have time
right now to explain how, but Apple has documentation on this.  You'd
need to put the documentation inside of an application (possibly the
terminology server), though.  It also doesn't get into the index until
first launch, I think.