[Pythonmac-SIG] Python access to RS-232, USB, MIDI?

Lance Boyle lanceboyle at cwazy.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 03:10:51 CET 2005

I'm brainstorming on a project that involves communicating with a head
tracker (I need only azimuth). I haven't decided on an actual head
tracker, but am looking at a Polhemus. (Comments on head trackers are
also welcomed--gaming devices or 3D mice?)

It looks like that I might need to communicate via RS-232 or USB (is
there a MIDI tracker?). I want to keep this simple and clobber the
problem with minimum fuss, so naturally I think of Python, AppleScript,
etc. I'm pretty much a neophyte with such things (although I wrote a 3D
plotting program for a Tektronix pen plotter a _long_ time ago).

So--can Python help me? AppScript?

Thanks,
Jerry