[Pythonmac-SIG] coding preference

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 17 03:33:29 CET 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, at 5:00, Pete wrote:

> I have been wondering what to use for my next project which involves a
> simple static window with graphical image background and drop down
> lists with dynamic content.
>
> Can somebody with experience of both comment on using PyGame and
> PyObjc to help me decide which developer framework to choose?  The
> main advantage with PyObjc may be that I can use interface
> builder...but I prefer the portability of PyGame.

If you use pygame, you will have to code drop-down widgets yourself.
 From scratch.  It does not have any GUI elements you can use.

If you use PyObjC, all of the widgets you need are already part of
Cocoa, so you probably only really have to write code that populates
the lists... which might be really trivial if you can require Mac OS X
10.3+ and use Cocoa Bindings.

Using PyObjC will build a smaller application too.  The implementation
of pygame on Mac OS X depends on PyObjC, SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer,
SDL_ttf, smpeg (and probably another library or two), so naturally is
is going to create considerably larger application bundles than just
PyObjC, which has no dependencies (that are not part of the system).