[Pythonmac-SIG] coding preference

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 19 18:54:32 CET 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:
> Would you (or anyone) care to comment on the relative merits of the two?
> I've been using wxPython, but since I have no intention of writing
> commercial software I guess I could as easily (that is, cheaply) use QT.
> (I do need my (academic) programs to run on both Mac and Windows.) Worth
> switching?

I'm pretty sure you need a license to distribute even free QT software
for Windows. I understand that buying Black Adder is the cheapest way to
get a license for Python, rather than C++ development.

I've never used QT, so I can't speak to the advantages. One reason I
would consider switching, however, is that there are more Scientific
Widgets for QT (like http://qwt.sourceforge.net/). If you don't have a
need for those, then wx should be fine.

Others on this list can probably speak better as the
advantages/disadvantages of wx vs QT.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov