[Pythonmac-SIG] coding preference

Pete pymac at jorjun.org.uk
Sun Jan 23 14:19:43 CET 2005

> So my point is, you may very well be advocating an approach which will
> marginalize the Mac platform even further. I know that's not your
> intent, your intent is to see excellent Mac apps get created, but by
> eschewing and not helping approaches like the one wxWidgets takes, and
> in fact by making the toolkit sound useless for any practical purpose,
> you're actually reducing the options that people have, and in doing so
> making Mac support a less attractive option or possibly a simply
> unfeasible one. Does the Mac platform really win in the end if you do
> that?
>
> And the shame of it all is that aside from the ambiguous, off-hand
> comments ("widgets designed by children", "a really good cross
> platform GUI toolkit is not possible") that do little except poke fun
> at projects such as wxPython, we get very little constructive feedback
> about exactly what needs fixing. But I guess if you blindly assume
> it's all "hopeless", then there's little point in that, is there?
>
> Kevin

Personally I have a great application and I don't care about the
'market' - I don't owe them anything, especially the sheepish ones.
My app' is currently very simple and I am going to continue developing
it on the greatest client platform available using the very best tools.
  I have now decided that portability in the context of evolving a piece
of work is just a distraction. When a better (more productive and
elegant) OS than OS X shows up I will jump ship.
I prefer diversity to homogeneity, any-day. Something like Pythoncard
which is now cross-platform was inspired by HyperCard (Mac only) as was
the common hypertext browser, I believe. I wish there were more
developer-oriented operating systems out there. There is far too much
code that needs writing and precious little time. A rich platform can
stimulate rich new applications.

Pete