[Pythonmac-SIG] [OT] To upgrade Mac OSX or not?

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Tue Jan 25 18:24:37 CET 2005

On 1/25/05 8:13 AM, "Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Am I missing something?
>
>     Charles> Umm . . . Software Update?
>
> Software Update won't take me from 10.2 to 10.3.  I'm as Software Updated as
> I can be on my laptop, but it's still 10.2.

You made it sound as if this was something happening to you on a weekly or
monthly basis:

> It seems that Apple's upgrade policy almost forces me to buy new versions as
> soon as they are released.  If I snooze when new releases come out I quickly
> get left in the dust and wind up either skipping a version or upgrading
> right before the next release.

So it's understandable that Charles thought you meant ..x releases. You're
talking about major upgrades that are now coming every 18 months or slower.
It's hard to snooze through those, especially with all the hoopla that
accompanies one. It also seems you're being misled by the 10.x numerology or
pretending to be, into imagining the major OS steps are " what appear
(numerically) to be minor releases". The cost alone should tell you
otherwise.

Of course you're just joking. The differences between each of 10.1 to 10.2,
10.2 to 10.3, and form the sound of it, 10.3 to 10.4 are bigger than OS 8 to
OS 9 was, by quite a long way. The reason for the small points is surely
just that Apple is still "branding" OS X as an entirely separate operating
system form what came before. I imagine they'll stick in the 10.x region for
a while yet.

--
Paul Berkowitz