[Pythonmac-SIG] [OT] To upgrade Mac OSX or not?

Brian Lenihan brian_l at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 07:14:17 CET 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> This is probably a bit off-topic for this list, but is the only
> Mac-specific
> mailing list I subscribe to, and Mac OSX versioning seems to affect
> MacPython and many apps built with it.  I was prompted to write after
> seeing
> Brian Lenihan's post about PySol for Mac OSX.  Visiting the page I saw
> "10.3
> only".  *sigh* Yet another app I can't run on my laptop.

I might be misremembering, but I thought Python on 10.2 was an optional
install.  I know 10.3 has Python 2.3.0 installed by default, so that is
what I built PySol with.   I have a stand-alone version which uses
Python 2.5, so it should work with whatever you installed on 10.2, but
I believe you need a framework build of Python.  Bob will correct me if
I am wrong.

Bob is right: I know how to cross-compile using Apple's tool chain, but
I have no idea how to make a 10.2 compatible app bundle using py2app
and I have no interest in investing the time to find out how.

Markus got annoyed by some people's rather loose behavior with his
source code (and their even looser interpretation of what "forking" and
GPL compatibility mean) and jerked everything but the code to PySol and
the pysolsoundserver from his site.  If you take my modified tarball of
his code and get the data files from one of my disk images, you can
build a version compatible with your system.  The pysolsoundserver uses
SDL, SDL_mixer, and smpeg.  Markus has provided a configure file and a
setup.py.in for the sound server which will work with a little minor
tweaking (fix the paths, if necessary).

There was a bug which prevented PySol from starting if the sound server
could not be imported, but I fixed it so the sound server is now
optional, but recommended.