[Pythonmac-SIG] iTunes scripting/Python shilling opportunity?

Bob Ippolito etrepum at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 21:03:16 CET 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 2:48 PM, has wrote:

> Saw this via Boing Boing:
>
> http://carlo.typepad.com/clo/2005/01/the_milliondoll.html
>
> Got me wondering if there might be potential for cooking up, say, a
> Python-based web UI for iTunes that could operate across a LAN? With
> appscript maturing and more webapp frameworks than you can shake a
> stick at, it might make a nice opportunity for (Mac)Python to promote
> itself if somebody with a bit of spare time and some prior webapp
> experience were interested.

It doesn't sound like that's what he wants.  There are plenty of ways
to remotely control iTunes already, anyway.

What I read is that he wants a solution that will keep multiple iTunes
libraries in sync, without replicating files to every machine.

What's necessary is:
(a) an easy way to have multiple drive(s) shared (AFP, SMB, or WebDAV),
so that iTunes can point to the files
(b) a seamless way to propagate changes between iTunes libraries
(appscript could be used in the implementation of this)

WebDAV is an interesting possibility because the application could take
care of serving it without dealing with admin permissions.  I haven't
seen a great implementation of it for Python yet, though.  I've written
a minimal one myself, and there's akaDAV
<http://akadav.sourceforge.net/>, but it would be quite a bit of
effort.  Even if you took care of (a) manually, (b) is a hard problem
(detecting changes, conflict resolution, rewriting mount points, etc.).