[Pythonmac-SIG] Can MacPython 2.4.1 and Tiger's Python co-exist

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Thu Jul 7 00:31:42 CEST 2005

Yes, you can install Macpython 2.4.1 and wxPython 2.6 separately from
what ships with Apple. The Apple stuff in in /System/Frameworks. They
will never see each other.

I also use your strategy of developing with Python 2.4.1/wxPython 2.6
and testing/deploying against Py 2.3.5/wxPy 2.5. The Apple system
installation is a very convenient deployment target.

One caveat: the Apple system stuff is older, and especially (with
wxPython) a bit buggier. That's why, for instance, Boa won't run on the
Apple stuff. wxPython was a moving target until 2.6. However, I haven't
seen any huge problems in the stuff I'm developing/working with. Your
mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com.
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com